Parent Education Sessions
A comprehensive maternity education program has been developed to help you and your partner prepare for the joys and challenges of parenthood. The program covers practical information and is presented by our friendly midwives who work in the maternity unit.
To book, please phone (08) 9531 8230 between the hours of 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
The below classes are available over 4 weeks, held on Thursday evenings for 2 hours from 7.00pm to 9.00pm. There is no charge for the sessions and refreshments are provided.
Planning for the birth
- About our hospital
- When to phone/come in
- What to bring to hospital
- 3rd trimester of pregnancy
- Personal preparation for birth
- Your needs and birth preferences
- Start of labour
- What will happen in hospital
- Normal physiological birth – how it works
- Strategies to manage contractions – support, positions etc.
- Birth room visit
- Birth film (optional)
- Deviations from ‘normal’
- Pain management
- Alternative types of birth
Caring for baby and the postnatal period
- Enhancing bonding
- Feeding your baby
- Changing and bathing
- What to expect
- Apgar score, Vitamin K, Jaundice, Guthrie test, Hep B Vaccine
- Changes in the body after birth - physical and emotional
- Postnatal depression
- Fathers – importance and how you can help
- Going home
- Issues and concerns
- Where to get help
Preparation for Parenthood – weekend condensed class
This course is ideal for families who have limited time and are unable to attend our four week program. The weekend condensed program addresses important aspects of your pregnancy and birth on a Saturday morning between 9.00am - 1.00pm.